New Look 6429- A Dress with an Inset

Hi All! Summer is in full bloom here in Oregon, with blue skies and sunshine, the perfect start to my vacation. I thought I’d show one last addition to my travel wardrobe before heading out for a couple of weeks. Yes, I have alot of clothes (LOL) but wouldn’t you know it? At the last minute, I decided I NEEDED one more dress.  In a frenzy, I grabbed some fabric from my stash, a bit of lace, and a New Look pattern. Here’s the result.

This sheath is New Look 6429, a dress I wanted to sew the minute I saw it in the catalog. With the options to add an inset or a cut out, this pattern was on my ‘must have’ list right away. I love the raglan sleeves and the great neckline.

I chose view C, because I can never  pass up an opportunity to add a lace inset.

IMG_4336 (1)

The pattern went together quickly and easily, but be forewarned. The sizing is really (!!) generous. I had to take seams in everywhere. This is one occasion when sewing a quick muslin wouldn’t have hurt, but as you all know, I don’t have the patience to take this extra step, and here’s the price I pay for it. An easy sew turned into a bit of a project because I had to fuss around with fit.

The fabric I used is a cotton with a  very, very slight stretch. The pattern is designed for wovens and stretch is not required, but I love just a little bit of stretch when I want a dress to be super comfortable, as is the case when I travel. If a dress can’t be worn all day, it doesn’t make the cut, you know?

IMG_4271I love this dress, and am so glad I found the time to squeeze in one more make as I know this will get alot of wear.

I’ll be away from my sewing machine for a few weeks, which makes me a little said. The good news? My stash has shrunk a bit over the last few months, making room for some new vacation purchases. I hope I’ll have some interesting finds to share when I return.

I hope your summer sewing is progressing nicely and that you’re enjoying some great weather. Happy sewing and thanks for stopping by!

13 thoughts on “New Look 6429- A Dress with an Inset

1. idaaidasewing July 14, 2016 / 12:44 pm

I like that you’re enriching your bleu collection and how perfectly the lace found it’s place in this dress!

• ellegeemakes July 14, 2016 / 1:49 pm

Thanks for noticing how well it fits with the rest of my blue capsule wardrobe, lol. Will I get sick of that color on my trip? Only time will tell!

2. carmenross88 July 14, 2016 / 5:01 pm

Cute! I have that pattern, too, and I’m looking forward to making it. I think I’ll go with the cut out version like on the cover photo. Have a great time on your vacation and I hope you score some new fabric!

• ellegeemakes July 14, 2016 / 5:33 pm

Thanks! I love the cut out version too, and can’t wait to see yours. I’m pretty eager to shop so I’m sure the fabric will find me…

3. I love the blue! I didn’t notice that the pattern had a choice for a lace insert. I like that one the best! Have a happy holiday! Take an extra empty suitcase to bring back all your new fabric!

• ellegeemakes July 14, 2016 / 8:34 pm

Thanks! I can always buy another suitcase too if I have too much 🙂

4. prttynpnk July 17, 2016 / 9:34 am

Ok, now stop. I totally poo-poo inserts and now I want this pattern. You are evil!

• ellegeemakes July 17, 2016 / 10:50 pm

Just had to do something with that piece of lace in my stash, you know? I forget about New Look patterns sometimes, but this one reminded me how well they go together. I should give more of them a go, you know?

• prttynpnk July 18, 2016 / 3:16 am

My goto summer blouse pattern is a newlook- they surprise ya!

5. Elizabeth Made This July 25, 2016 / 11:57 am

Great choice of fabrics! The inset is a great detail. I scored a piece of wax print fabric thrifting that would work well with a detail like this. More reasons to use lace!

• ellegeemakes July 26, 2016 / 12:40 pm

Thanks! Sounds like you have something fabulous planned for your great fabric..can’t wait to see it!

6. Marguerite August 2, 2016 / 2:14 pm

Love it! I like this version best of those I’ve seen out there. If you can, check out an old vintage Simplicity 6503. It’s a shift dress with cute cut outs that I can see you making.

• ellegeemakes August 2, 2016 / 3:33 pm

Thanks! I’ve worn this dress twice and it’s super comfortable. I’ll check out that vintage Simplicity pattern. It sounds interesting!