This jacket has been on my sewing to-do list for such a long time. I kept shuffling it to the bottom of the queue as I waited for a block of time to tackle it. Well, as you all know, I’ve got that time now!
The tamarack is quilted, making it perfect for those cooler evenings in spring and fall. For my first Tamarack (yes there will be others), I decided to use Merchant and Mills pre-quilted cotton. It’s such a lovely weight and texture, well worth the price. With this fabric, it isn’t really necessary to line the jacket, but I did anyway. I used an Nano Iro linen ( Bolt Fabric.) that’s so soft. I chose a contrasting lining so that it would would really show when the sleeves are rolled up. I finished the edges with self-made bias binding in linen (Josephine’s fabric).
Even though I didn’t have to, I wanted the lining to be quilted, so I followed the lines already provided in my outer fabric. This was a fun, stress free way to go, and I highly recommend it! I love how the extra quilting adds more texture to the bodice of the jacket.
In order to get the fit I wanted, I shortened the jacket by 1 1/2 inches (I’m 5′ 4”). I love this modified length. The fit of the bodice seemed a little boxy for me so I tapered it a bit at the waist.
The biggest construction challenge was the welt pockets. The quilted fabric is thick, making it tricky to get everything to lie flat. I decided to practice making a pocket with some thick fabric I had leftover from another project. I’m really glad I did. I felt pretty secure when I had to cut into my lovely quilted fabric. I do like the look of the welt pockets, but will likely use patch pockets next time so that the jacket will be reversible. If I had to do it over, I’d make this one reversible too, as I love the lining almost as much as the outside fabric!
The other challenge with my thick quilt sandwich was sewing the binding around the edges. I used fabric clips I bought at Joann’s to hold the layers together as I sewed.
Overall, this was a fun, satisfying project, and I highly recommend it. The construction of the jacket isn’t as challenging as it appears. There isn’t a collar to mess with for one thing. Also, the slow process of quilting the jacket was lovely and calming. In fact, it made me more curious about quilting in general. I may try to do a bit of improvisational quilting with my fabric scraps. What better time to play with new sewing experiences than now!
I hope you all are well and happy. Thanks for stopping by!