McCalls 7476-A cardigan for all seasons

img_9470-3

Hi All! Fall means cardigans because they are the perfect layer to throw over shirts and tee shirts when the weather begins to shift, so I’m always searching for new patterns. I was so pleased to find this new McCall’s option; a cardigan destined for ‘tried and true’ status. It’s easy and versatile with just the right amount of tapering for fit.

img_9071I like that it works with a collared shirt like this tie blouse, or over a collarless tee as well.

img_9707Because this sweater knit is pretty heavy with a bit of wool in the mix, I will likely wear it instead of a light-weight coat, so I made it really long. But I plan on making a shorter version with a shawl collar as soon as I can find another perfect knit!

The Details: My sweater knit is from Fabric Depot, a furry knit with lycra and wool in it, perfect for a cardigan jacket. The pattern is McCalls 7476, a cardigan with dropped shoulders, length options and collar variations.

m7476I love the fact that there are so many great options with this pattern. I cut my usual size small and didn’t have any fit issues. I wanted a snug fit when buttoned, but if you want a looser fit, you might want to jump up a size.

img_9692This pattern is super easy and fast to sew. I think from cut to finish it took me about three hours. I used a serger to finish my seams, but a zigzag would likely work.

It’s been a long while since I added a cardigan pattern to my pattern stash and this one has reminded me that I love them. If only I had a few more options to choose from. Do you have a favorite cardigan pattern? Let me know!

I hope your fall sewing is going splendidly. Thanks for stopping by!

17 thoughts on “McCalls 7476-A cardigan for all seasons

1. Chris November 6, 2016 / 9:20 am

That looks like such a great pattern – I bet you will use it over and over.

I don’t have a favourite cardigan pattern, but I recently made a cardi out of the lenghtened bodice pattern of a wrap dress. I really must get around to blogging it to show what I mean, just in case that sounds a little crazy.

• ellegeemakes November 6, 2016 / 9:50 am

It doesn’t sound crazy…just a clever adaptation :)I’ll look forward to your blog post!

2. Sewniptuck November 6, 2016 / 11:54 am

Nice work. I find the limitations with cardigans ans jumpers too for that matter is the lack of availability of great sweater kits. A couple of years ago I bought 2 fabrics, black and grey sweater knit. The black pilled horribly and is pretty much unwearable meaning a huge wste of time and money while the grey is super excellent, in fact I’m wearing it now as I do almost every morning – no pilling whatsoever.
    My favourite pattern has to be the one I self drafted as a cascade front because I’ve never made any other cardi. Perhaps next winter I’ll have to investigate the fine merinos from The Fabric Store for thin cardis, I’d like to give the Jenna a go.
    Nice colour on you too 😉

• ellegeemakes November 6, 2016 / 12:40 pm

Thanks so much! Yes, pill-omg can be an issue with sweater knits, and I’ve had the best success with fabrics that have some natural fiber content although they can be hard to find. How cool that you drafted your own drape front cardi..I love that look. I’ll have to check out the jenna.

3. Elizabeth Made This November 8, 2016 / 11:47 am

Another great cardigan. Cardigans are coats for indoors, and this looks like it’d be great for being next to the fire with a good book and a cup of tea! Did you add the extra 2 buttons after you made it, or am I just missing them in a couple of the pictures?

• ellegeemakes November 9, 2016 / 11:03 am

I love that…coats for indoors! I think it will be easy to wear, especially by the fire!

• ellegeemakes November 9, 2016 / 11:04 am

Oops sent that reply before I was done, lol. The cardigan has three buttons to keep it together when it’s nippy!

• ellegeemakes November 9, 2016 / 11:02 am

Thanks! It’s a new color for me and I enjoying it, in spite of the fact that it is not blue!

4. Linda Wilson November 13, 2016 / 1:56 pm

Fab cardi, I’d try the waistcoat too. Show off the sleeves on your shirts too.

• ellegeemakes November 14, 2016 / 9:29 am

Thanks. That’s a great idea!

5. Marguerite November 13, 2016 / 10:29 pm

So cozy! I’ve got a perfect piece in my stash that I never knew what to do with. This will be great for it. Thanks so much for your inspiration as always!!

• ellegeemakes November 14, 2016 / 9:29 am

Glad I could help!

6. Jen January 19, 2017 / 9:51 am

Thank you so much for sharing your photos and experience with this pattern! I love how you styled it. It looks great on you! I’m inspired to pick up this pattern asap so I can use up some sweater knits I’ve been collecting. 🙂