Hi All! It’s almost time to ring in the new year, so I thought I’d take the opportunity to review my top five makes of 2016.
Looking back at my sewing projects always makes me a little nervous, because I can’t bear to face the facts. Sometimes the makes that are the most fun to finish or the most time consuming, are not the ones I love to wear (sigh). They hang in my closet, lonely and ignored. Huh. But without further analysis, here they are….my top five of 2016.
- This little coat: This topper makes it into the top five because I wore it more than any other make this year! It was so versatile, more than I expected. I wore it constantly. The sewing pattern is great too….Butterick 5927, a new favorite.
2. The linen and lace dress – – Well, of course I love it. It’s blue, it has statement sleeves and lace trim. This dress made me a fan of clothes with simple lines. I love to wear it.
3. This coat: OMG, it’s so warm! The stretch wool…the quilted collar…love. To make things even better, when I step into Anthropologie wearing it, the girls that work there swoon, the ultimate compliment. It was supposed to inspire me to rake leaves, but that didn’t happen.
4. This blouse: Well, because it’s blue. Need I say more?
5. This poncho: Okay, it had to make the list because wearing it makes me so happy. Yes, fringing it was a nightmare, but the end result made this poncho such a wardrobe stand- out. I have a ‘boho’ moment every time I put it on, something I sorely need.
I was obsessed with denim this year too, so I just have to mention these ‘makes ‘. I didn’t wear them quite as much as I expected though (not sure why?), so I won’t give them ‘top five’ status.
1. This button up denim skirt: What fun this was to make! The top stitching, the ‘jeans’ buttons up the front…my favorite things.
2. This denim shirt dress: I love a good shirt dress, and I felt so great when I finished this one! I also learned about snaps. They look great, and you also get to pound them in…If you haven’t tried it, do!
There were a few misses in 2016, but who wants to talk about those? Overall, I had alot of fun at my sewing machine, which is the true test of success for me. I even made my first pair of jeans.
But the best part of 2016 was meeting all of you. I love our community and our conversations. You and your makes are a constant source of inspiration and joy for me. I want to thank you for visiting here and for being a part of my life.
Here’s to an even better 2017! And thanks to Gillian of Crafting a Rainbow for encouraging us to celebrate a fabulous year with our Top Five Makes.
Happy New Year, and thanks for stopping by!
22 thoughts on “2016: Top Five Hits”
Nice work! Love the denim projects! I probably only made a half dozen items all year. I am pretty pleased with how they all turned out, though. Hoping to do better next year. Just ordered wool for a peacoat for my husband, so that’s on my plate. That will be pretty time consuming, but hopefully, I will make a dent in my stash with other projects.
A pea coat sounds like a challenge, a good way to start the new year. What a lucky husband. Yes, I must make a dent in my stash this year too. It sounds like you had a satisfying sewing year and that 2017 will be even better!
You were sew busy in 2016! Congratulations on all of your hard work. Of your top 5, my favorite look is the blue linen and lace dress. It’s just so elegant. And blue is definitely your color. I can’t wait to see what you get up to in 2017!
Thanks! It has been a very good but blue year. That dress was my go-to all summer. Can’t wait to see what you do in 2017 too…cheers!
I enjoy your projects so much! Thanks for making beautiful things and sharing them with the world!
Thank you so much. I love visiting your world too! Here’s to a great 2017!
I feel like next year, you need to add more blue: you never wear it!!! 😉 Kidding aside, it’s a fantastic color for you and you should rock it as often as you like. I am still a huge fan of that denim dress you made, even if it didn’t quite break into the Top 5. Your blog always inspires me (even when I can’t make time or forget to comment!) and I am so glad we “know” each other. Happy New Year: see you on the other side!
Ha, it seems I only have eyes for blue. I’m determined to give that denim dress more wear time in 2017. All that topstitching deserves a little love. You always inspire me too…a Marfy pattern is on my list of challenges to try, thanks to you! Can’t wait to chat with you in the new year.
Hey, if it ain’t broke, right? =) Blue is great on you! And yes to making 2017 the year you conquer a Marfy–you can do it!!!
I wonder what pattern you used for the following the coat the Anthropologie girls love. thanks.
That pattern is McCalls 7333, and I lived it so much I’m going to try it again soon!
Happy New Year! I love all the top 5 but have to admit the denim and lace dress is my favorite! Isn’t it funny how you never know which items will become favorites and most worn? I think that happens to all of us. Although sometimes I do enjoy making that special dress knowing its for a single occasion. I always enjoy reading your blog…in fact it’s the first one I check out. Looking forward to what’s ahead for you in 2017!
Happy new year to you too! I know what you mean, sewing satisfaction doesn’t always translate into most loved. Thanks so much for your kind words about my blog. I know 2017 will be a fabulous year for all of us.
You had a marvelous sewing year!
Thanks! It’s been fun, hasn’t it?
They are all exquisite….what talent!
Thanks so much!
Happy New Year!
you have been very productive and I like the fact that you worked mostly on blue colured fabrics. The coats here in the list are fabulous!
Thanks! I do love coats. I hope there will be a few in 2017!
You’ve had a lot of great makes this year! I do love the poncho and the “leaf raking” coat the best. They both have such great style. The fringe was so worth it. I’m looking forward to what you make this next year!
Thanks! Yes the poncho has come in handy lately as we are experiencing below freezing temperatures here 🙂 so nice to wear a cozy ‘me-made at times like these! I am so looking forward to this year’s makes including my two for the day-night dress challenge, which are almost done. Here’s to a fun creative year for both of us! Cheers!
I’ll drink to that!