Butterick 6378: Two tie neck tops

IMG_6452Sometimes, you make one version of a pattern, and you love it so much, you rush have to make another.

It wasn’t just the versatility of the pattern that inspired me to sew two (2) versions, it was envy too. When I saw these versions in ready to wear, I had to have one (or two) for myself.

Version 1 is by Sea, and version two is Chloe. You can wear either one with the tie ‘tied’, or not, depending on your mood and it still works!

This pattern is part of Butterick’s fall collection. It offers several options, a narrow tie collar, and a broader tie that’s incorporated into the neckline.

Because the tops slip over your head, they’re easier than some to sew. But as usual, the devil is in the details. I found the two collar options to be quite different to sew.

The bow collar on this version is part of the neck line finish. It’s only two pieces which are sewed onto the collar opening….so easy!!! It becomes the facing and the collar – – so efficient. This version is made from a very stubborn rayon, that was a bit tricky to sew, but feels great to wear.IMG_6640

The fabric was very ‘shifty’. This version is ‘as designed’ with one modification. I eliminated the elastic on the sleeves and added a self-drafted 3″ cuff.

Version two is the narrow tie option. I made this out of a yummy rayon (fabric depot.com).

This version (shown here with my jeans skirt) was a bit trickier to sew because there is a narrow collar that is sewn on after you insert the narrow ties. Narrow ties are hard to turn, for one thing (an understatement. My finger tips will never be the same). Then, the ties have to be placed just ‘so’ before you attach the teeny-tiny collar. Sure, it’s not impossible to get it right, but you need a bit of patience :).

I love both versions and can imagine making antoher in silk with, maybe….Hmmm….bell sleeves?!? I am not done with that look yet! Anyway, I’m giving this pattern a thumbs up. It’s a great transion look, I think, a nice bridge between the seasons, and if I could find some great fabric like the Chloe or Sea versions, I’d be all over making version number three.

Long sleeves….I think that makes this a ‘Fall’ project, even though the temperature is in the mid-90s here! Have you started your Fall sewing yet?

Happy sewing and thanks for stopping by!

16 thoughts on “Butterick 6378: Two tie neck tops

1. Nakisha August 30, 2016 / 6:52 am

They are both nice but I just love the tie collar version! And I love your skirt!

• ellegeemakes August 30, 2016 / 6:57 am

Thanks so much! The skirt is getting A lot of wear and it’s great to have a couple of tops to wear with it

2. corrineappleby August 30, 2016 / 2:00 pm

These are both great! I particularly like the dark top and I also love the denim skirt you’ve paired them with.

• ellegeemakes August 30, 2016 / 2:19 pm

Thanks! I think the dark one is my favorite too, but maybe that’s because the tie was easier to sew!

3. Lynsey August 30, 2016 / 2:58 pm

Gorgeous tops, both are fab and it’s lovely they are different, I’m just starting to think and plan Autumn/Fall sewing and this top looks perfect.

• ellegeemakes August 30, 2016 / 3:29 pm

Thanks! It is a good fall project; not too hard and perfect for fall fabrics, I think.

4. Marguerite August 30, 2016 / 6:24 pm

Love both! You really are good at interpreting what you see on the runway to fun pieces that you whip up pretty darn fast! I’ve got some yardage in my stash that would work nicely for these. Thanks for the inspiration!

• ellegeemakes August 30, 2016 / 10:20 pm

Thank-you for the lovely compliment! Sewing from your stash is always so great, isn’t it? Im sure you tops will be fun too!

5. idaaidasewing August 31, 2016 / 12:52 pm

both look great on you, especially like the second version, beacuse polka dott 🙂

• ellegeemakes August 31, 2016 / 2:42 pm

Thanks! And as you can tell, I’m a big fan of dots too!

6. Linda Wilson September 1, 2016 / 4:09 pm

I love them, I love a tie neck. There are more to be made here for sure. I was a bit addicted to them, and haven’t made one in a while, now I’m feeling tempted again. Gorgeous

• ellegeemakes September 1, 2016 / 4:38 pm

Thanks so much! I went fabric shopping yesterday and found myself looking at more fabrics that work well with tie necks! Ha, a new obsession and maybe you’ll join me?

• Linda Wilson September 2, 2016 / 12:47 am

I have so many already. When I got bored of my blouses I always cut of the sleeves and made them into tie necks! But they are so pretty…..maybe I will

• ellegeemakes September 2, 2016 / 8:46 am

What a great idea!

7. Olga September 16, 2016 / 9:29 pm

Love both of these tops! I actually have this same pattern traced and ready to cut into a muslin fabric right now. I was going to try and tackle view c in chiffon, but based on your description of the ties, may go for an easier fabric first.

• ellegeemakes September 16, 2016 / 10:29 pm

Oh, it would look great in chiffon! Can’t wait to see your version!