A lace top inspired by Dolce & Gabbana

I used to think lace was reserved for prom dresses, frilly wedding dresses and other  hyper-girlie looks. But I think I’ve given that up. I can’t resist the combination of feminine lace with the edge of denim it seems. And if the lace is blue, I’m all in!

My inspiration for this top was this tunic length top/dress from Dolce and Gabbana.

37862084XH_13_F

I fully intended to go the whole way with lace on the sleeves and the longer length of the top/dress, but as luck would have it, when I ordered this lace (Fabric.com), I thought I’d ordered two yards, but ended up with one. Not sure if I pushed the wrong button or if the order was messed up at their end, but when I tried to order another yard, the lace was already gone!

I grumbled about it for awhile, then found a great sheer silk to use for the sleeves and lining. It’s so perfectly wonderful to touch and wear, I decided the mistake was a good thing after all. It forced me to use a contrast silk sleeve which is more comfortable than lace by a long shot.

The pattern is one I’ve used before McCall’s 7285.

I made view D, and used the silk for the sleeves.

Other modifications:

• I raised the neckline by an inch.
  • I made 3/4 length sleeves with a rolled hem.
  • The hem is cut ‘high-low’. Because my lace didn’t have a scalloped edge, I merely finished the bottom with a rolled hem.

It’s an easy pattern that’s well designed, a good template for your own creativity. The only challenge here was lining up the lace so that it was perfectly centered.

I’m wearing this top with my recently completed Jalie Jeans and love the look! It’s comfortable but sufficiently dressy. I wore it to a party just last week.

IMG_1547I only wish I’d bought more of that lace! Honestly, I have got to get in the habit of buying more not less!  I think this top might travel with me this summer. The good thing about this lace? It doesn’t wrinkle, nor does the silk. I’m guessing this top would look dressy if I wore the right jewelry and skinny black pants?

I hope you’re enjoying all of the sewing events in the blog world right now.  I love what’s going on over at the Monthly Stitch. The McCall’s blog has been great too, with a shirt dress sew along. And Pattern Review is hosting a skirt contest. There are so many ways to find inspiration, I feel a bit spoiled. Are you participating in any of these events?

Happy sewing and thanks for stopping by!

10 thoughts on “A lace top inspired by Dolce & Gabbana

1. idaaidasewing June 8, 2016 / 2:16 pm

beautiful outfit, the lace goes so well with jeans, I like the contrast of having such a delicate material matched with a rough one like denim. I’m using blue lace too in my currant project, not so beautiful though as yours 🙂

• ellegeemakes June 8, 2016 / 2:19 pm

Thanks! I love those contrasts too and I can’t wait to see your blue lace…

2. carmenross88 June 8, 2016 / 7:45 pm

That’s really cool! I’ve never seen lace like that before. It’s a really interesting pattern. I bet that top would look great with a pair of white crisp jeans.

• ellegeemakes June 8, 2016 / 8:32 pm

Agreed! I think the fact that the lace was so unusual is why I splurged. Great idea to put it with white jeans….might just have to splurge on a bit of ready to wear!

3. mylanaieyeview June 9, 2016 / 8:14 am

Is your silk washable ? Or do you have to dry clean. I want to also use as sleeves but co corned about care.

• ellegeemakes June 9, 2016 / 9:21 am

It’s washable silk, so I plan to hand wash it. it’s so comfortable and lovely to wear, I think it’s worth a bit of hand washing. It dries really really fast!

4. Helena@grayallday June 11, 2016 / 9:16 am

It is a perfectly dressy but comfortable outfit and great for a party. I would think lace sleeves would be scratchy, so it does seem like a happy accident – and it looks great, too!

• ellegeemakes June 11, 2016 / 12:35 pm

Thanks! I’m wearing it out tonight and since we’re back to our cool oregon weather, I’m glad for a bit of sleeve!

• ellegeemakes June 11, 2016 / 12:38 pm

Ha! Yes, it is a bit of a love/hate thing 🙂 Yes, I feel lucky that it worked out.