Butterick 5789, Cropped Drape Front Jacket

img_0387

Hi All! ‘Tis the season for indoor photos here in Oregon. It’s also the season to sew a few layering pieces, wearables that you can wrap yourself up in when it’s damp and cold (most days here). That’s why this cropped drape front jacket grabbed my attention. The style is so versatile – you can wear it closed, or open.

img_0372

My inspiration for this cropped jacket was a Ellie Tahari drape front sweater I saw on a recent ready-to-wear shopping trip. I loved the drape front, but hated the price tag. Honestly, it was several hundreds of dollars, and when you compare that to the cost of a sewn garment, me-made wins easily!

nmtcuhr_mu

Nevertheless, it is a gorgeous sweater. It almost made me want to learn to knit (ha).

For my version, I used a sweater knit, a wool blend I picked up at Mill End Store. It has a moderate amount of cross wise stretch, just enough for a drapey jacket.My pattern is Butterick 5789.

This is a drape front vest or jacket and the front extends into the back collar. I made view D and cropped it significantly (six inches all the way around). In order to make the front closure, I added a  button hole at the bottom corner of the drape front, then put a button on the opposite shoulder so that I could pull the ends up, criss-cross style.

img_0402

It’s such a wearable jacket, I know I’ll put it to good use right away. Honestly, this was so easy too. From cut to finish it only took two hours. Of course, part of this is because the front drape isn’t finished with a facing. That means the wrong side of your fabric shows. That’s not usually a problem with a knit though, as both sides of the fabric are usually okay to look at. I wonder which look I’ll wear the most?

I hope you’re finding time at this busy time of year to sew a bit. I’m contemplating a few ‘sewn’ gifts this year, but thus far have done nothing but dream about it, and of course it is alot of effort at a busy time of year, which can take some of the fun out of it. What do you think?  Are you sewing gifts this year?

Happy sewing and thanks for stopping by!

17 thoughts on “Butterick 5789, Cropped Drape Front Jacket

1. Scarlet November 29, 2016 / 2:19 pm

Your jacket looks lovely on you. You did a superb job!

• ellegeemakes November 29, 2016 / 3:39 pm

Thanks so much! It’s going to be quite useful, i think.

2. Faye Lewis November 29, 2016 / 5:14 pm

Hey Linda! I’ll be making just a couple of hand sewn gifts this year. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new jacket. You’ve got me hoping that the pattern is already in my stash.

3. Linda of Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!! November 30, 2016 / 5:52 am

I love this kind of jacket. I have a couple made myself. I think it might even be from the same pattern. Great idea with the button though. I just use a brooch on mine and if I forget the brooch it doesn’t stay closed! Nice work!

• ellegeemakes November 30, 2016 / 8:56 am

Thanks! You’re obviously a huge fan of this pattern too. I think I remember that you posted one of your versions, am I right? It is an easy style to wear. I think there will be another one in my future.

• Linda of Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!! November 30, 2016 / 1:09 pm

Yes I have made and posted a couple. The one with the raglan sleeves was a bit touchy for me – to get it to lie flat – but it worked in the end. Looking forward to seeing more of your’s!

• ellegeemakes November 30, 2016 / 4:20 pm

Yes, I wondered about that version. I’m going to have to pop over to your blog and refresh my memory.

• Linda of Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!! November 30, 2016 / 7:12 pm

The one with the raglan sleeves is the white and chevron reversible one I did. Like I said I had to sew and iron and flatten down and re-sew the shoulder of the raglan sleeve. Patience needed!

• ellegeemakes November 30, 2016 / 10:22 pm

Reversible!! How cool is that! I know have jacket envy and just might have to go online and shop for some cool fabricme think I have to go on line and fabric shop so that

4. danvillegirl November 30, 2016 / 6:04 am

Great idea and appreciate the helpful info to do this. I made this view a year or so ago. I will definitely try this cropped version! Love how this looks on you!

• ellegeemakes November 30, 2016 / 8:57 am

Thanks so much. I hope you’ll post your version for us to enjoy. It’s going to be a tries and true pattern for me, I think.

5. fabrickated November 30, 2016 / 10:30 am

I love the fabric and the way you have looped up the front by adding a button. This makes it stand out from the crowd. In terms of making gifts I already feel I have too much to do, and too many expectations. Yet home made (with love) presents are the best rather than just something chosen from a shop.

• ellegeemakes November 30, 2016 / 4:22 pm

Thanks! I’m enjoying the fact that this draped jacket has some closure in the front because it is cold out there! I agree about home made gifts. I always feel much more connected to the meaning of giving something when I’ve made it myself, but as you say, there is only so much one can do!

6. carmenross88 November 30, 2016 / 7:59 pm

Your indoor photos always look good. I’ve been thinking about where I could set up a good little indoor photography spot because it is getting rather chilly out. I like how you’ve added the button closure. I think it looks cool closed. I also had big plans to sew Christmas gifts but alas I usually never get around to it. I’ve been on a knit kick myself these past couple of weeks.

• ellegeemakes November 30, 2016 / 10:20 pm

Oh, thanks! Yes, it is too cold outside for photo shoots. I’m lucky I have a decent spot inside that doesn’t require furniture to be moved. I’ll bet you would be pretty popular if you gave hand knit gifts as it seems all the rage around here, but that’s got to take even more time than sewing a gift, am I right?

7. Randi December 14, 2016 / 8:29 pm

I love your darling jacket, the print is really stylish and the colors and cut look great. I didn’t realize it til I got to the end of the blog, but I have this pattern! Ha! I made a version for my granddaughter a couple of years ago, and it turned out really cute, in a subdued gray, brown and black soft sweater knit. However, I guess since you cut yours shorter, I didn’t recognize that it was the same pattern! I’ll have to pull my pattern out and make myself a version because I’ve been thinking about making warm, cuddly clothing items lately – your words about cold, cloudy days in Oregon really touched a chord with me since we have the exact same weather type here in N. TN!

• ellegeemakes December 15, 2016 / 6:53 am

Thanks! Yes, my short version doesn’t really match the photo on the envelope. Your sweater knit version sounds really cute and so cozy, perfect for our cold cloudy days. Enjoy!