Vogue 9166: A sleek and sporty basic

When I saw the new Vogue patterns for Spring, I could hardly believe my luck. Those lovely designers read my mind!!  I’ve been looking for a dress pattern with two-piece sleeves since the sporty trend began last Spring. Even though no one has ever described me as athletic, I sure like to look like I am! Racer details, vertical stripes, anything that gives an outfit a sporty edge and I’m all in.

There’s nothing like a knit sleeve that’s color blocked to make you feel like you can get to the finish line fast. My favorite design element of this dress is definitely the sleeves.The good news is, they aren’t just sporty. They’re easy to sew too.

This dress is a breeze to make. From cut to hem, it only took about three hours.Vogue 9166 includes a dress and a top version as well as pants. All are made from knits.

Not only are the sleeves and yoke details cool, but the high low hem is fun too.  Because my knit had moderate stretch, I used my overlock stitch on my Bernina to finish the seams and hemmed with a twin needle.

Here’s a close up of the knit. It’s sort of unusual, I think, a Ponte from my stash (Yay!) with a silver design printed on it.

Black is so hard to photograph! The silvery design printed on the knit dresses it up a bit, don’t you think?

The construction of this dress is really simple and straightforward, so if you’re new to knits, give it a try. I made my usual size and made a slight adjustment for my narrow shoulders. To give the style a bit of structure, I’d recommend a medium weight knit, something that isn’t too flimsy, or the dress won’t hang well. The cut is simple so the dress is easy to wear. It’s the sort of dress that you can move around in, a ‘throw on and go’ dress, my favorite! I’m sure I’ll wear it a lot.IMG_8316

I like the pattern and can imagine making it again, maybe a top, or another dress with a two bright colored knits (blue, anyone?). It would be a good piece to include in a capsule wardrobe. I’m suggesting that, not because I’m planning one, but because I should. I also noticed there’s a capsule wardrobe contest this Spring hosted by Pattern Review that provides great motivation to plan one. Will I? Probably not (?!?) but I’m looking forward to seeing what others put together as I continue to mull over the concept. Anyway, it seems to me that this dress, with its timeless style and high degree of wearability would be perfect for such a wardrobe, don’t you think?

Do you plan your wardrobe around the capsule concept, or are you a ‘fly by the seat of your pants’ person like me? Happy sewing and thanks for stopping by!

19 thoughts on “Vogue 9166: A sleek and sporty basic

1. tracy March 4, 2016 / 6:10 pm

Wow, that’s really cute. I have that pattern too (fell in love with it instantly just as you did), and you’ve inspired me to make it up sooner rather than later.

• ellegeemakes March 4, 2016 / 6:17 pm

Thanks! I think you’ll find it to be a fun ‘sew’. Can’t wait to see your version…

2. Sara in Stitches March 4, 2016 / 7:14 pm

I am *so* glad to see that this fits as expected! It looks great on you. I have this pattern, too. It was a “must-have” as soon as I saw it, and, like you, I’m considering making an ivory/black version that looks the same as the pattern illustration. After seeing your version (where *couldn’t* you wear this dress?!), I need to go for it.

• ellegeemakes March 4, 2016 / 7:15 pm

Thank you! It’s one of those patterns that

• ellegeemakes March 4, 2016 / 7:18 pm

Oops sent before I was finished.The cut of the dress is so forgiving, I didn’t have to fuss with the fit, a nice change for me. Hope you find the same. Can’t wait to see your version!

3. Stephanie Koski March 5, 2016 / 5:44 am

Oh my goodness—I’m obsessed!!!! Looks so good on you, and wow that black fabric!!!!

• ellegeemakes March 5, 2016 / 7:03 am

Thanks so much! It’s such an easy sew you could make it this weekend😀

4. Thimberlina March 5, 2016 / 8:48 am

Cool! Love the colour blocking. I generally fly by the seat of my pants too, except for the occasional wedding outfit thrown in the mix! 🙂

• ellegeemakes March 5, 2016 / 9:05 am

Thanks. I can’t resist a chance to color block. I’ll bet a wedding outfit does shake things up a bit!!

5. Hila March 6, 2016 / 1:33 am

Super cute dress! Love the endless possibilities with colour and texture blocking. I am not goid at sticking to a capsule concept. I have too many ideas

• ellegeemakes March 6, 2016 / 7:55 am

Thanks! Interesting thought .Yes, that capsule concept is a bit limiting in that way. Hmmm, maybe I haven’t done it because I think of anything that requires planning to be limiting vs. freeing. If only my closet would expand so that all of my ideas could fit in it. Lol

• ellegeemakes March 6, 2016 / 12:06 pm

Yes I’m a color block fanatic, too. At least you make a plan 🙂

• ellegeemakes March 6, 2016 / 7:08 pm

Thanks! Yay for colorblocking

6. Elizabeth Made This March 7, 2016 / 6:28 am

Ooh, I love how the lines on the sleeve run into the black on the front–it really emphasizes the sporty silhouette which you wear so well! I’m a terrible capsule planner…mostly my organizing concept in my wardrobe is my color palette. With little exception, as long as I stay within the boundaries of my palette and keep to my contrast level, I find I don’t have too many wardrobe orphans anymore. I was pleasantly surprised doing Me Made May last year to see how much versatility was built into my closet without my knowledge. There are the occasional, “this t-shirt doesn’t go with anything”, but it’s usually a problem of not being able to put two styles or silhouettes together.

• ellegeemakes March 7, 2016 / 9:10 am

What a great way to approach the issue, sew within a defined palate! I forgot about Me Made May. I didn’t participate last year but might give it a go this year so that I can figure out what I need to sew to fill in those holes in my wardrobe. I’m sure I’ll learn that I need to get over my fear of sewing pants (I’ve never made a pair that I’ve really liked).

7. Carolyn March 10, 2016 / 4:43 am

Very very cool!! I love the look of this on you. Sporty AND chic 🙂

• ellegeemakes March 10, 2016 / 11:16 am

Thanks so much! I’ve worn it once and the knit made it so comfortable! I think I’m going to have to make another version soon.