Sweater Knits Rule

I wear a lot of separates. This fact became obvious to me when I rearranged my closet this week to make room for Spring clothes. There’s nothing wrong with a good separate, and we all need them,  but OMG.  My closet is crammed with mix and match items. It’s a bit overwhelming when it comes time to choose.  I might have to rethink my look a bit as we move into Spring…

Nevertheless, I am posting more separates today, both made from Yummy Sweater Knits. As you all know, I am such a fan. And this layered outfit includes two chunky knits, one from cotton, the other from a wool/poly blend. They are so, so comfortable to wear. Honestly, you just can’t go wrong with them.

The white top is a good basic, made from a chunky cotton knit feels so good against my skin.

I used Vogue 8925 for this top.

V8925

I cut bias strips of the same cotton knit to embellish the cuffs and neck. To get the gently frayed look, I left the edges unfinished and the raw edge becomes a bit of an embellishment that way.

IMG_7106The black cardi-wrap is cut from eyelash knit, a chunky fabric with a unique furry texture. I’m not sure you can tell this from the photos, but the fabric is as dense as my cat’s fur.

IMG_7131The pattern for this wrap is Butterick 5789 with a few modifications. I used View E but left off the front bands.

To get the wrapped look, I overlapped the fronts, adding three vintage buttons to keep them together. Buttons make the world go round, don’t you think?

Because this black knit is super stretchy, I stabilized the front with a bit of interfacing to support the button holes and buttons. Sweater knits are pretty forgiving, but even the heavier weaves don’t seem to be able to support the weight of a button without a bit of help. I used an overlock stitch for the stretchy seams. I finished the edges by turning the fabric under and stitching. It worked well because this knit is so dense, the stitches just disappeared into it :). The bad news with a knit like this is that a mistake is almost impossible to correct. You’ll lose your mind trying to remove those lovely, buried stitches!

Overall, I’d say this cardi-wrap will be a favorite for me. I’ll be able to throw it on over anything!  The downside is that it’s black, a color that doesn’t work well with orange cat fur, but what does?

Have you tried to sew buttons on sweater knits? Any tips to share? Happy sewing and thanks for stopping by.

16 thoughts on “Sweater Knits Rule

1. Cheryl February 26, 2016 / 10:12 am

For sewing a button onto fabric like this, try using a piece of yarn. Leave long tails on the back side and tie into a secure knot.

• ellegeemakes February 26, 2016 / 10:13 am

What a great idea! The yarn would give the button more support.

2. Beverly February 26, 2016 / 10:21 am

Both are pretty & basics you’ll wear a lot. I love the buttons!

• ellegeemakes February 26, 2016 / 10:23 am

Thanks so much! They’re vintage, found at an antique mall. I was lucky there were three of them!

3. Nora February 26, 2016 / 10:57 am

Love your tops. Where do you get your sweater knits. I ordered some from Fabric.com and was very disappointed as they were too light

• ellegeemakes February 26, 2016 / 11:04 am

Thanks! I picked up these sweater knits at mill end store I believe ( last winter I think) They have a great selection as does fabric depot.com although their selection is very seasonal. Mill end doesn’t sell on line but if you call and say, hey I want a heavy knit, they’ll send swatches right away. Yeah, in my experience knits that are too light don’t have the body to support a structured look unfortunately.

4. Naomi February 26, 2016 / 11:26 am

Yum, yum, yum! Love them both. Would stabilising the button by having another button on the reverse side work? I’ve seen this in some better made RTW garments and used it myself with decorative buttons to make sure they stand up straight – if that makes sense.

• ellegeemakes February 26, 2016 / 11:33 am

Thanks! I’ve seen that as well on RTW, what a great way to make them stand up straight. Just might have to try that.

5. Hila February 26, 2016 / 11:43 am

I love the Vogue sweater its so posh looking. Separates quickly build up volume but I have been reading about capsule wardrobes and how that can help deal with having a lot of separates.

• ellegeemakes February 26, 2016 / 11:52 am

I think I need to read up on the capsule concept! My closet needs help. Some of my separates work together by many do not, which means they aren’t working very hard for the amount of closet space they occupy.

• ellegeemakes February 27, 2016 / 7:56 am

I remember your lovely red cardigan well! Isn’t that one of the great things about sewing? Your version is uniquely different from mine.

6. danvillegirl February 27, 2016 / 8:02 pm

I like both items. I like how you used the raw edges on the white top. I have not paid any attention to that pattern. I like how it is drafted.

• ellegeemakes February 27, 2016 / 11:09 pm

Thanks! I think the cover photo doesn’t do much for the pattern because it has a lot of possibilities I think.

7. carmenross88 February 28, 2016 / 11:30 am

I love that white sweater! I would not have thought to finish the hems that way, but I think it turned out beautifully. I’m working on a pullover right now. Hoping it will be the last of winter sewing and then I can move on to spring and summer dresses! Oh my!

• ellegeemakes February 28, 2016 / 11:58 am

Thanks! I think the sweater will get lots of wear, and hopefully those raw edges will look okay as time passes :). Can’t wait to see your spring projects!