A print with an identity crisis

DSC03055
I can’t decide what this print is; an artistic print or an animal skin print! Whatever you want to call it, the print is not for the faint of heart. The swaths of cobalt blue and black are bold and eye- catching. No blending in when you wear this… My husband will be able to find me, no matter how large the crowd!
 DSC03052
I chose this print because I’m obsessed with blue, and the cobalt in this print is to-die-for. But the print is a bit wild with animal print spots and wide, bold brush strokes of color.  At first, I wasn’t sure it would ever move from ‘stash’ to ‘wardrobe’.
But then, I saw the BCBG Spring collection. Inspiration!  Bold prints were everywhere. It helped me see that, yes, this fabric did have possibilities. I could actually wear it.
 imagesPFC60D33_003CUT99KL_mx
The BCBG collection convinced me that, when it comes to prints, a simple style is best. So, the pattern I chose was McCall’s 7126, a sculpted peplum with neck and sleeve variations,  princess seams, and hem variations. The front is lined, and it’s finished with a narrow hem.
 M7126M7126 (1)
The challenge was in the pattern layout. I didn’t want to make the horrid mistake of positioning the pattern on the print in a way that would bring attention to parts of my figure best left unnoticed (short waists, anyone?). Also, I didn’t want too much chaos at the neckline so that I could take advantage of the scoop and wear a bold necklace.
DSC03159
After playing around with the pattern through two (2!!) episodes of Game Of Thrones, I decided I was overthinking things a bit (ya think?). So I (finally) just went for it!
 DSC03153
Thoughts on the pattern: I was a bit concerned about the lined bodice, since this is a knit. I thought maybe it would be hard to get a smooth finish, or that it would be uncomfortable to wear. But neither of those concerns were warranted.  The lining didn’t bunch, since I used tricot as the pattern suggested and it added a bit of body, balancing the stretchiness of the knit. And I do like the way the bodice feels when I wear it – – so, so comfy, not binding at all! Overall, it was easy to sew.
Adjustments made: The only adjustment I made to the pattern was my usual narrow shoulder/back adjustment. I cut a size six (my usual) and it fit well.
Finished product? The fit of the pattern is good, and the design is super comfortable. Although the print is bold, it’s fun and sort of…energizing. It looks okay with a dark, solid pant/skirt, so I think I’ll wear it a lot.
Conclusion! This was a worthwhile project! And, I’m burning through my stash and feeling the lightness that comes with having less fabric :).
Are you a fan of bold prints, or do you find them challenging to sew with?
Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Posted by

I love sewing, writing, baking and fashion design. Welcome to my blog!

4 thoughts on “A print with an identity crisis

    1. I think the pattern is a ‘keeper’. It fits well, and I like the neckline options. Let me know how yours turns out!

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s