Vogue 9056: One pattern, Two ways

I’m always amazed at how different fabrics can dramatically change how a pattern looks! That was the certainly the case when I recently sewed two versions of Vogue 9056 , one of my tried and trues (here). Yes, I am the queen of peplums as one of my fellow singers has dubbed me, but I can’t resist them!

Vogue 9056 is an easy peplum tee that is a breeze to make in an afternoon (love that!).V9056_a

Version one is a rayon knit, with so much stretch! In this fabric, the fit is loose and the waist even seems a bit lower, perhaps because of the fabric’s drape.

I used a contrast ribbed knit on the sleeves and then cut a little pocket out of the same fabric for the top. To finish the neck, I modified the pattern slightly by trimming the neck with a bias strip cut from the fabric. I serged all of the seams (love how that looks on the inside) and also hemmed it using a really tight serge stitch.. This top is so comfortable to wear! Rayon knits are becoming a favorite over here. Now if the weather would just warm up so that I could wear this.

Version Two is made from a stretch cotton denim.

Unlike some denim, this is very lightweight and I couldn’t resist it because I love the colors…different shades of blue, of course! I wasn’t sure a woven would work for a top that is basically a variation on a tee shirt, but it has enough stretch that it works. I love how the top looks so different in denim! Its crisper, of course and the waist seems a bit higher as does the neck, I guess because of the crispness of the cotton. I finished the neck as the pattern instructed and serged all the seams. The hem on this version is turned up and stitched.

Which do you prefer? The denim was the easiest to sew, but the rayon knit is so great to wear! But I think that version is rather dark for Spring. I enjoyed making two versions of this pattern at the same time. It’s fun to see how different they are, and efficient too. Curious if others do that too?

Happy sewing and thanks for stopping by!

14 thoughts on “Vogue 9056: One pattern, Two ways

1. Cecil Kincaid Beverly April 23, 2016 / 11:33 am

I love both versions! I have this pattern but have not sewn yet. You’ve inspired me to try it. Oh, I’m usually a sewing blog lurker and I of course enjoy and love your creative designs. Now. I’m trying to become more socially responsible and comments more. Thanks for sharing. Ms. Cecil

• ellegeemakes April 23, 2016 / 11:56 am

Glad you’re going to give it a try and thanks for checking in!

2. Naomi April 23, 2016 / 2:01 pm

So cute! I love the denim version because of the fit, and fabric.

• ellegeemakes April 23, 2016 / 2:42 pm

Thanks! Yes I’m partial to the denim too probably because it’s blue 🙂 cannot get enough of blueb

3. worthmorenow April 23, 2016 / 2:25 pm

I like the denim. I have had this pattern for a while and have been on the fence whether to make it or not. It looks good on you!

• ellegeemakes April 23, 2016 / 2:41 pm

Thanks! It’s one of my favorites , hope you enjoy it!

4. Linda Wilson April 23, 2016 / 3:20 pm

These are both great, I don’t have a preference because I love them both, and you suit both. This is one of the things I love about a good pattern, you can make it in so many different ways, plain, print, colour could go on forever. Great makes!

• ellegeemakes April 23, 2016 / 3:34 pm

Thank you! Yes I think those tried and true patterns are the ones that give you freedom to do fun new things!

• ellegeemakes April 23, 2016 / 8:47 pm

Thanks! It’s definitely getting the most wear!

• ellegeemakes April 24, 2016 / 7:13 am

Agreed! It’s nice to see that so that we can go back to a loved pattern and still have a new look to add to our wardrobe!

5. carmenross88 April 24, 2016 / 7:23 pm

I’m going to have to be the outlier here and give my vote to the striped version! So cool. No, I’ve never tried to make two versions of a pattern at the same time, but I’ve definitely done the same pattern twice before. It is fun to see how different a pattern can turn out just depending on your fabric choice.

• ellegeemakes April 24, 2016 / 8:35 pm

Glad someone likes the stripes 🙂 agreed! I love making a pattern you know the second or third time because, with fit issues resolved, you feel free to embellish